Tuesday 23 November 2010

Do you remember that?

As mentioned before I have been in and out of photography for many years, both as a hobby and as a profession. In this time I have taken many, many photographs and I have not only large hard drives but also stacks of negatives from the days of film.
For those of you who never used film it's hard to explain just how easy using digital as a format is now, the art of photography is not easier but the process of capturing an image is. I was generally criticised for taking four, five, six shots of the same thing with film, people would say it was a waste, but it meant I always got something I really liked, now digital makes that easier. Also sending off a film for processing or dropping it in at Boots was such a drag, waiting four or five days to see if your pictures came out was terrible, especially when after photographing someones wedding!
So the other down side of film was the negatives, fragile things that needed looking after in case you wanted more prints made or even enlargements. You could argue digital is even more fragile, at least you could physically hold a negative, where exactly are my pictures now?
Well the reason for this post was to say that I have been looking through these negatives, some in special pages to protect them and others still in packets stuck together!
And what have I found looking through these? Well, some are pretty good really but I'm shocked to find so many weddings, I just don't remember doing so many but then one seems pretty much like another after a while. The other thing I found was a lot of stuff on Black and While film, the images have a certain 'punch' that is so hard to achieve in digital which is why so many photographers still use film (in fact new film is still being released even today).
Now don't get me wrong, digital is way better, the freedom and control is fantastic but like I said when I started this, the 'art' hasn't changed. Any fool can spend anything from £50 to £5000 on a digital camera but 'seeing' the picture is whole lot harder, the sad thing is so many people pick up a camera, especially a DSLR and say 'I'm a photographer'. Good luck with that.......

No comments:

Post a Comment