Friday 3 June 2011

It is what it is

So for the first time I've actually included a photo, considering this is a photography blog it's something I just had to rectify asap.

I've chosen an image that isn't technically perfect or particularly innovative or creative but one I particularly like and that's often the essence of photography, do what you enjoy.


The image is from a shoot I did for a local (ish) horse charity, the idea was get some pictures that showed the horses they look after and try to re-home. The day wasn't brilliant to be honest, overcast and windy and even a drop of rain every so often and the horses are all in stables so little chance of finding a good angle, good light etc. Like the blog title says, it is what it is and you have to deal with it, poor light and limited chance to change anything but then that's what it's all about sometimes.

So I got some images I was pleased with and this one stood out, this little pony was very timid and was very wary of the camera to start with but I hung around, popped back a few times and just let him get used to me being there. Eventually he moved around a little and took a few shots, some good, some not so good. What I did notice was the eyes, horses have such expression in their eyes and this one said 'I'm happy but still remember the bad things that happened before.' Rather than go for a cliched close-up of the eye I tried a creative crop which showed some of the horse and it's stable behind. The direct tungsten lighting above gave some real detail to the face and hair and I was pleased.

Like I said, not technically perfect but sometimes your favourite shots aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment